About Music Together classes:
Ten weekly, 45-minute classes (or a six-class session in the summer) include songs, rhythmic rhymes, movement, dance, and instrument play. These activities are presented as informal, non-performance-oriented musical experiences. Classes are developmentally appropriate for children and easy for parents and caregivers, regardless of their own musical ability. Music Together incorporates the latest research into how children learn music. A CD as well as downloadable music, a beautiful songbook, and a parent guide for new families are included-- we use a completely new set of songs each semester! You will also have access to tons of family resources through the Music Together national website: www.musictogether.com
You and your child will be part of a warm community of families making music in a group every week. Because we will be singing and making live music ourselves, we will be able to weave in opportunities for the child who loves quacking ducks, or just learned to spin in circles, or has a great dinosaur roar.
We do not prorate for missed classes in the session, however you may do three makeup classes during other weeks of the session if you miss class (space permitting). Makeups must be scheduled in advance, may only be scheduled during the current session, and can not be carried over to future sessions.
To see our current class schedule, click here
For newborns through age 5 with a parent or caregiver (grandparent, nanny, etc.)
This is the essential Music Together class, one that a child can attend from birth through age five and through all nine song collections. This basic class follows the recommendations of child development researchers grouping children of a variety of ages in one class. This approach fosters natural, family-style learning where younger children enjoy watching and imitating older ones; older children learn by leading younger ones; and adults are happy because the children in the family can go to class together. Sibling discounts are offered for more than one child within the same immediate family.
Each child participates at his or her own developmental level in singing, moving, chanting, listening, observing, or exploring musical instruments. We welcome the whole family to join in this important family music experience and any caregiver: parents, grandparents, nanny can bring the child(ren) to class.
For infants through age 8 months with a parent/caregiver. Baby should be 6 months or less on the first class date.
Rhythm Kids Level 1
The Music Together Babies Class will start you on the path to becoming a musical family. Specifically designed for infants eight months and younger, this one-semester introduction to Music Together allows babies to embrace, enjoy, and express their inborn musicality. In your weekly class, you will spend forty-five music-filled minutes singing, dancing, and playing with your child, all in the company of other new parents and guided by an early childhood music specialist. You'll learn how your child is developing musically and how you can support this growth at home. Plus, you'll leave with lots of ideas on how to play and bond musically together and infuse music into your baby's everyday life. This is the perfect introductory Music Together class!
Rhythm Kids™ Level 1, for preschoolers ages 4-5 (no younger siblings please). Parent participation is optional.
Rhythm Kids Level 1 is the next musical step for your preschool child (ages 4–5). Each week we drum, sing, dance, play rhythm instruments, and begin to play music-based games. Rhythm Kids Level 1 guides children toward developmentally appropriate music and movement activities, where they can begin to take charge, lead others, and be musically creative, as they:
• make up their own drumming patterns
• invent new ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, sticks, etc.)
• create movement ideas for songs
• even take a drum solo!
Rhythm Kids Level 1 follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age eight.
Classes are for preschoolers ages 4–5 and include:
• 10 weekly, 45-minute classes
• Animal Collection Songbook and 2 CDs each semester
• Access to online drum-play videos and other material
Your child will:
• Explore the world of rhythm through movement, instrument play, and song
• Develop basic rhythm skills, like keeping beat, improvising, ensemble play, and soloing
• Learn to create, cooperate, and express themselves musically
Drums will be provided for the class each week, but if you’d like your child to have a drum to play with at home (and then continue to use in Level 2 classes!), please ask your teacher about the special discounts on djembe drums that are available to Music Together families.
Rhythm Kids Level 2
Rhythm Kids™ Level 2, for elementary school age children ages 5-8 (no younger siblings please). Parent participation is optional.
Rhythm Kids Level 2 is an exciting music, movement, and drumming class for children in Kindergarten through second grade (ages 5 through 8). Children integrate and assimilate rhythm into their lives, as they:
• learn multicultural drumming patterns;
• develop new repertoire on various percussion instruments;
• explore movement and dance while singing songs;
• play games based on music and drumming;
• have fun with a host of rhythm activities.
Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age 8. As part of the Rhythm Kids experience, children and their grownups can enjoy drumming play and practice sessions at home with the help of online play-along videos featuring Rhythm Kids creator Tom Foote.
Classes are for children K–2 (ages 5 through 8) and include:
• 10 weekly, 45-minute classes
• Animal Collection Songbook and CDs (2 copies) each semester
• Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs
• Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming
• Enjoy age-appropriate ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, tambourines, etc.)
• Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements
• Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico, Turkey, etc.)
• Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm
• Develop skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, composition, and improvisation
• Participate in active musical games that are both enriching and totally fun!
Drums are provided for in-class use but this is an instrument-learning class, so your child will need a drum to practice on at home. Please ask your teacher about the special discounts on djembe drums that are available to Music Together families.